Found the original essay, and added the sources in. Check it out; it is really a wonderful read (and was even cross posted to Racialicious).
The best book covers are the ones without people on them, and the art leaves it up to your imagination.
Diversity in Kid’s Lit — 110 and Counting.
Inspired by Roxane Gay at The Rumpus, here’s a long old list of diverse kid’s lit writers and illustrators. And I promise you, it is not complete.
1. Taro Yashima, picture book writer and illustrator
2. Sherman Alexi, YA
3. Karen Katz, picture book writer and illustrator
4. Lenore Look, chapter book writer
5. LeUyen Pham, illustrator
6. Jacqueline Woodson, writer all ages
7. E.B. Lewis, illustrator
8. Jorge Argueta, picture book writer
9. Yuyi Morales, picture book writer and illustrator
10. Pat Mora, writer
11. Charles R. Smith Jr., photographer
12. Sheila Hamanaka, picture book writer and illustrator
13. Jason Chin, nonfiction
14. Beatrice Hollyer, nonfiction
15. Francisco X. Alarcon, poetry
16. Maya Christina Gonzalez, picture book writer and illustrator
17. Alice Faye Duncan, picture book writer
18. Taeeun Yoo, picture book writer and illustrator
19. Allen Say, picture book writer and illustrator
20. Sandra L. Pinkney, picture book writer
21. Myles C. Pinkney, photographer
22. Jill Krementz, nonfiction
23. Karen English, chapter book writer
24. Pamela S. Turner, nonfiction
25. Walter Dean Myers, writer, various ages